Why is higher education attractive in Greece? There are several answers to this question at once: it is living in a European country, and the opportunity to learn a foreign language, and a prestigious diploma, and the prospect of finding a job in the specialty and staying in Greece after graduation. In addition, the country stands out among other European states with quite feasible conditions and procedure for admission.
Oddly enough, it is much easier for a foreigner to enter a Greek university than for a Greek citizen. For admission to a prestigious university, graduates of Greek schools must score a very high score on the USE results. A school certificate is enough for a foreigner, and a high GPA is not always required.
Studying in Greece is attractive to foreigners for a number of reasons:
- Admission to a Greek university provides the opportunity for permanent residence in a European country
- Foreigners are not required to pass entrance exams: enrollment is based on the results of a school certificate competition
- Education in Greece is absolutely free, including textbooks, meals in the canteen, and often accommodation in a student hostel
- Upon graduation, you receive a European-style diploma, which is recognized throughout the European Union
- Student residence permit gives access to the labor market - albeit with the right to part-time employment
- After receiving a diploma, a graduate can stay in Greece and find a job in his specialty
Of course, there is a certain admission procedure, including the collection of documents both in your own country and in Greece. In addition, before starting training, the applicant must obtain a diploma of knowledge of the Greek language at a level not lower than B2, for which the state gives him a year to study the language in special schools.
The package of documents can be roughly divided into those that you must collect in your country, and those that are drawn up in Greece.
- School certificate with the Apostille stamp affixed on it. You can put it down at the Ministry of Education, it takes up to 40 days;
- Birth certificate with the Apostille stamp, which is affixed at the regional office of the registry office within 1-3 days;
- Certificates that you have completed the full course of study at a school in your country in full-time, and that the school is following the state educational program. Their copies, previously certified by a notary, must also be affixed with Apostille at the Ministry of Justice;
- A certificate that you received a school certificate gives you the right to enter the universities of your country. This certificate does not need to be additionally certified - it can be issued at the Greek consular office of your country.
The certificate of nationality is issued at the consular office of your country in Greece. It must be certified by the Greek ministry; A certificate of the transfer of the grades of your certificate to the 20-point system, which is done in the Greek Department of Education. It is issued within 2 working days; In addition, all Russian documents must be translated into Greek. Translations must be certified by the seal of a Greek lawyer.
When submitting documents to the Ministry of Education, it is necessary to provide a copy of the passport, the original signed statement of responsibility, which can be downloaded on the website of the Ministry of Education of Greece, a certified copy of the certificate, a copy of the certificate of the right to enroll in the universities of your country, the transfer of grades to the 20-point system and a fresh photo ... If you intend to apply in Greece and not remotely, you must also attach a certified copy of a valid visa.
You can read more about the list of documents and the procedure for admission , as well as fill out an application for admission on the website of the Greek Ministry of Education.
As a general rule, the application platform for admission to Greek higher education institutions opens annually in mid to late July, and remains open for up to one week. During this period, you must have time to submit an application and send the above documents by courier to the Greek Ministry of Education.
The preparation of the package of documents should begin at least 2, and preferably 3-4 months before the date of the proposed opening of the platform. Affixing the Apostille stamp on the certificate takes up to 40 days, and in general it is better not to risk it and leave some time in case of possible overlaps and delays.
The results and information about the enrollment, as a rule, are known in late August - early September. You can watch it on the website of the Greek Ministry of Education.
As mentioned above, the beginning of study at a Greek university is impossible without a certificate of knowledge of the Greek language at a level not lower than B2. In order to give the applicant the opportunity to learn the language, after enrolling in the university, Greece gives them an additional year to study the language.
You can register for language courses at the beginning of the school year by contacting the secretariat of the schools of the modern Greek language in Athens or Thessaloniki. You can choose an annual training program that includes 10 or 20 hours per week. The cost of the first course is about 430 euros, the second - about 730 euros. In addition, you will need to pay about 50 euros as a registration fee.
Courses start in October and end in early June. After completing your studies, you will have to take an exam in the knowledge of the Greek language, the results of which will give you a certificate. The exams are held in June and re-exams in September, so even if you are unlucky and unable to get your certificate in the summer, you will have the opportunity to re-take the exam in early fall.
Enrollment in a Greek university is the basis for obtaining a student residence permit. It is issued for a period of one year, with the right of subsequent renewal. To obtain a residence permit of this type, it is enough to provide confirmation of enrollment and a package of related documents, which include:
- The original of a valid international passport and copies of all its pages
- A valid visa with which you entered the territory of Greece
- Four fresh photos and a CD with a photo in electronic form
- Document confirming admission to a Greek university
- Confirmation of the availability of funds in the account (500 euros)
- Medical insurance document for a period of three months
- Receipt for payment of state fees for obtaining a residence permit (150 euros)
- Receipt for payment of state fees for issuing a residence permit card (16 euros)
- Confirmation of availability and address of residence in Greece
- Certificate of the absence of diseases of a public medical institution in Greece
Before applying for a student residence permit, you must first obtain a type D visa at the Greek consular office of your country of residence. Further, you enter on this visa to Greece, where during the period of its validity you issue a residence permit for a period of one year.
Student residence permit is extended every year, until the end of the study period. Documents for renewal should be submitted in advance, before the expiration of the residence permit. After receiving your diploma, you can extend it for one more year - albeit on other grounds.
Like other types of residence permits, the student residence permit grants the holder the right to permanently reside in Greece and to move freely within the Schengen countries. In addition, this type of residence permit gives the right to work up to 4 hours a day during school hours, and provides the right to full employment in the summer months.
You can extend your student residence permit 6 times, based on: 1 year for studying the Greek language + 4 main years of study + 2 additional years of study. Since 2020, Greece has brought its legislation in line with EU directives, giving university graduates the opportunity to find work in the country in their specialty. For this, specialists, on the basis of the received diploma, are given one more year to find a job.